Posted by Meagan at 4:47 PM
I just saw a super cute blog that does an "awesome and awkward" list once a week and so I think I'm going to do it, too. But probably not once a week considering I post about once every two weeks. Oh and my reaction to things that aren't that great (i.e. my wallet getting stolen) is usually "awesome" in a sarcastic tone so if some of my awesome's don't make sense, that's probably why.
-my ability to procrastinate...I should seriously be able to put it on my resume next to my impressive microsoft suite skills (microsoft word? pfff I'm basically a pro. why did I have a hard time finding a job?)
-the fact that my brother has never made a resume and he's almost 29
-texas actually winning a football game
-those thick black leggings you wear with boots and baggy t-shirts/sweaters...life changing moment. it's like you're not wearing pants well I guess because you aren't wearing pants but seriously, way more comfortable than my jeans and a t-shirt. so now i'm kind of trendy but SO comfortable. win win.
-forgetting to buy toilet paper...and realizing it just as you wake up
-my manager giving me the day before and after thanksgiving off
-2 stepping at a Josh Abbott concert with the really cute guy you made eye contact with earlier in the night
-shopping at forever 21...is 3 times in one week too much? maybe.
-when older women wear those black leggings with a shirt that doesn't cover their butt
-people clapping in church at in opportune times
-a co-worker wearing a shirt that says "I support single moms" with an outline of a stripper
-ushers at church wearing vests
-soccer mom rolling down her window and yelling at the guy that cut her off then having to witness her tailing the guy through a parking lot.
-trying to communicate with spanish speaking bus boys. i can't tell if i'm talking to them like they're deaf.
-4 way stops when I'm running...are they letting me go? i can't tell, and i don't want to get hit by that car. oh, i think they're letting me go, oh nope! just kidding. i'll just stand here and act like i just got a text.
-when i tell people i went to acu and they ask me if i know someone. awkward because i kind of only know people that were in club...more like "embarrassed" because i didn't branch out.
-negative political ads. yeeesh. can't we all just get along?
Posted by Meagan at 12:04 PM
Here a few quick updates about my life lately.
-I moved to San Antonio last week and really like it! I am living with Jessica Jennings in Alamo Heights which is the equivalent to Tarry Town in Austin. Super cute old charming houses. Ugh, I love it!
-I have started running almost everyday since I got here. One day I jogged 5.5 miles straight...no stopping! This is a huge personal best for me. Like I said earlier, I have always hated running but I'm really starting to like it. We will see how much I like it when it's 40 degrees outside. Yesterday I mapped out a run through the really nice houses so I'm excited to do that today. Maybe I will take pictures of some of the houses without being super creepy. (not when I'm running but just randomly one day haha)
-I started a new job last week at a nice restaurant called Barbaresco. All of the server's are older and mostly men so you know what that means! Not a lot of drama...it's awesome.
-Last night, I met up with some friends and we went to the Alamo Drafthouse and watched the Wedding Singer. If you have never been to a drafthouse, they have a table in front of your chairs so you can eat and drink while watching the movie. The Wedding Singer was a quote and sing-a-long night so they would have the lyrics on the screen to sing with Adam Sandler. Oh and right before the scene where the old lady pays him in meatballs, they passed out meatballs to everyone in the theater and we had to eat it with our hands. haha It was so fun!
-Last week while working at a bat mizvah, I was helping the event planner get ready for the party and we figured out her sister ran cross country at ACU! We talked for awhile and she told me about how she does corporate Christmas decorating for companies and she asked me to help her out so I am going this Saturday for my first job. This will be a great way to make some extra cash on the side. I'm excited to see how she runs her business!
These pictures have something to do with my to-do list today.
Posted by Meagan at 7:22 AM
Here are 100 fun facts about me. Enjoy!
1. An authentic record player is a MUST when I get my own home and family.
13. The only fast food I crave is Chick-fil-A. What the heck do they put in those fries???
14. Grey is my absolute new favorite color...for design that is.
15. My 9th grade boyfriend told me, "you're really cute but your arms are kind of fat" so ever since then I've HATED my arms.
16. I rarely ever drink cokes. I'm an ice water kind of girl.
17. I like Elizabeth on The View.
18. I think me and Amy on the Bobby Bones show would be besties.
19. I can't wait to have a house of my own to decorate.
20. I've never lived outside of Texas.
21. I once waited on Cory Morrow and his girl friend at Janie and Jack.
22. My favorite job has been at a golf course in Round Rock as the cart girl. Driving a golf cart around listening to music on my ipod making great money = best job ever.
23. I was a vegetarian for a month but couldn't give up bar-b-q.
24. After going to Africa, I decided I never wanted to drive a luxury car. Not that I judge people who do, but I just feel like it's a completely unnecessary expense.
25. I've coached 2 elementary and 1 junior high volleyball team.
26. The older I get, the more precious my friends become. I love my friends!
27. I sometimes get social anxiety in big groups.
28. Anytime my throat feels sore, I go to Jamba Juice and get "boosts" in my smoothie. Works every time...I guarantee it.
29. I want to live a simple life.
30. I have no interest in politics.
31. I don't have cable and hardly watch tv because I watched it SO MUCH in college.
32. I love Bobby Flay....especially "throw down with Bobby Flay."
33. Patrick Dempsy's hair is so dreamy/sexy.
34. Whoever invented truck nuts should be kicked well...in the nuts.
35. I have grown more in the past year and half than I have in the past 6 years.
36. I love my perfume, Chance Chanel.
37. I really liked having a short "bob" haircut and always got a lot of compliments in college but I like curling my hair so it's long for now.
38. I was the captain of my volleyball team in high school.
39. My austin sports and social sand volleyball team won the league last year.
40. I lalalalove decorating blogs, photography websites and wedding blogs. Oncewed, design sponge and little green notebook..yes, please.
41. I loved tweety bird as a kid.
42. I want to learn how to sew.
43. If I could be any character in any movie it would be Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line OR Allie in The Notebook. I can't decide.
44. If you ever want me to completely write you off wear affliction, man jewelry and visors. Automatic N-O.
45. Visors, seriously one of my biggest pet peeves.
46. I don't really like dogs...at all. haha The main reason I don't like them is when they smell bad or jump on you.
47. I have had SO many lunch dates at Jason's Deli.
48. I grew up going to my grandparents house in the country. I love the simplicity of the farm life.
49. Another must for when I have a family is to have my own garden and peach tree in my back yard.
50. I'm not very domestic but I would love to be a stay at home mom. I have a lot of learning to do!
51. Sometimes if I'm feeling crazy, I will order an Arnold Palmer instead of a water.
52. I rate restaurants on how good their bread is. Johnny Carino's A+
53. I co-own a snow cone stand with my brother and absolutely love it.
54. I want my kids to have really southern names like Stetson or Rhett.
55. I love being the baby girl in the family.
56. I'm so lucky to have extremely supportive and helpful parents who love me to death!
57. Large, expensive, obnoxious church building's make me really uncomfortable.
58. Donald Miller is my favorite author.
59. I'm learning that God wants a relationship not a religious, ritualistic church-goer.
60. I hate when people aren't real and honest. Please don't try to act like you have it all together because you aren't fooling me!
61. When I was little, I thought midgets lived in stop lights and controlled the lights manually.
62. The best song to work out to is A-Punk by Vampire Weekend. I seriously start pumping my arms in the air and bob my head side to side. HEY HEY HEY!
63. My brother Aaron and I have countless inside jokes. We sometimes converse in inside jokes/movie quotes.
64. I love Austin Stone and the way it has changed the way I look at church.
65. 2 stepping is so fun, but I'm horrible at it!!
66. I've danced the night away with friends about 5 or 6 different times in the past few months.
67. I love my life right now and I'm really trying to soak in/cherish all the freedom and time I have for myself.
68. Having kids is a terrifying thought.
69. Was the summer of '69 really the best days of your life?
70. I'm going to be late to my funeral with a sign on the casket that says "I'll be there in 2 seconds!!"
71. My nephew is cooler than your nephew.
72. I'm on the search for a good looking guy who loves the Lord who sometimes wears cowboy boots who wants a stay at home housewife who will love him like crazy. Is that so much to ask?
73. I can't even watch movies with affairs in them...it breaks my heart too much!
74. I have never understood why women smoke cigarettes, it ages you SO fast!!
75. I have white water rafted down the Nile River.
76. Running has always been such a pain to me until recently, I'm starting to kind of like it.
77. A green apple and peanut butter = perfection
78. I overuse exclamation points!!!
79. I love anything and everything from J. Crew. So classy....
80. I never watch the news because it's so depressing.
81. If I could have one song playing in my head ALL the time it would be sweet disposition by Temper Trap. It used to be beautiful day by U2.
82. I hate disappointing people, I'm a total people pleaser.
83. It's always sunny in philadelphia is a hilarious show but entirely too inappropriate.
84. Is the hokey pokey what it's all about?
85. When someone cries, I automatically start crying. I'm such a softy like my dad and mom for that matter.
86. I love naps and probably spent half of my freshman year in college napping.
87. Everyone in my family has an entrepreneurial spirit.
88.George Strait's song, Amarillo by Morning describes my life perfectly. "I ain't got a dime, but what I got is mine. I ain't rich, but Lord I'm free."
89. I bleed burnt orange (even when they're sucking). Hook 'em!!!
90. My nickname in high school was Hiney.
91. I had a solo my senior year in Les Miserables.
92. The role I was playing in Les Miserables was lovely lady #1 which is the private school way of saying prostitute #1.
93. I was born in Amarillo.
94. I've never broken a bone or been stung by a bee.
95. If I could eat pizza everyday, I seriously would.
96. I love foot massages.
97. I dislike Dallas for multiple reasons.
98. My friends say I sleep like a vampire. Arms crossed, on my back, with the covers all the way to my chin.
99. Creamy jalapeno from Chuy's is divine.
100. I have received 4 warning tickets in the past year and a half. Batting my eyes at the officer with a sweet smile and apology does the trick apparently..."I'm SO sorry!"
Posted by Meagan at 7:59 AM
Posted by Meagan at 8:51 AM
In honor of Halloween, I involuntarily signed up to babysit monsters residing in the 6th grade in Austin, Texas. Friday (the 29th) was my first sub job of the year and to say that it was eventful is, well, a HUGE understatement. Let me just start from the beginning.
When I mapquested the location of the school, I quickly realized I might be in for more of a challenge than I thought. I have heard many people say that it can be difficult dealing with children from extremely low income areas because they have behavior issues due to their inattentive home life. Of course, that's not the case with every child but it's hard when the children aren't getting attention or support from home and they aren't held accountable for their behavior. So, this is when it gets fun. I got to the school in the morning and had to have the janitor open up my classroom door for me. As we were walking to the classroom, the janitor laughed and said, "you have the 6th graders? oh, they are going to be horrible!" Or something to that effect. Hoping it was just a crazy janitor talking, I blew it off as not a big deal. Then, the teacher whose portable was connected to mine came over and told me the class was absolutely horrible and that I was going to have a really difficult day. Awesome, I thought. This is going to be interesting. Then, I went to go pick up the monsters from the cafeteria and as we were waiting a teacher pulled me aside and told me the same thing. This class is absolutely horrible and tried to give me a few pointers but basically just said, "good luck!" with a smile. THEN during the assembly, the principal calls out the 6th grade class and tells them that if she hears any bad reports from me that she would be extremely upset. A shout out/threat...from the principal...in front of the entire school...about how bad they are. I mean, how bad could could it possibly be? I'm sure these people are just burnt out and are being dramatic. HA!
Here I was, a young, blond substitute about to enter the wrath of 11 year old monsters.
I made a fool of myself from the very beginning trying to call role. If you ever sub, make sure you go over the role before you are saying it in front of the class. There was a lot of literal spelling that sounds like it looks. You know how you get frustrated with spelling rules when you are young and you wished everything was spelled like it looks? Well, these parents rebelled against ALL spelling rules and regulations. Trynadei pronounced Trinity...yes.
I had been forewarned about one particular child and the beginning of the class was rough but not terrible. Unfortunately, one of the other boys started taunting him so he decided to start flicking him and the whole class off, threatening to beat him up and using extremely colorful language. During the first test (she left 4 tests...who knows), the adjoining teacher next to me told me to let the 2 little girls who couldn't speak a lick of english get on the computer to play games. I thought for sure they'd be playing educational games to help them learn english. Nope, just games...for 3 hours. Oh and during the reading test, the really really really bad kid is at a 1st grade reading level so they let him skip the test and play games, too. But of course instead of playing games he got on youtube and was looking at inappropriate rap videos with half naked women. Really?
All day the kids were talking, throwing things, getting up out of their seat and doing whatever the heck they felt like doing. When a kid doesn't blink at the idea of having to go to the office, what am I supposed to do/say to make him stop? Luckily, the day slowly came to the end and they were on their way to "specials" when one of the other boys decided to call 9-1-1 from our classroom. All of these things were happening just as I would turn around after getting onto other children who were misbehaving. Obviously I'm not letting children watch rap videos and call people with me standing there witnessing it. For the first time in my life, I was summoned to the principal's office and the principal was literally interrogating the child and using military tactics to make him confess. "I DO NOT LIKE LIARS!!! YOU BETTER NOT BE LYING TO ME!!!!!" She acted like a drill sergeant and I ws so uncomfortable.
I really never raised my voice or got stressed out all day because it made me sad to think that these kids are most likely getting yelled at at home, too. I know there is a better way to reach a child but it's hard when there are 20 other kids acting up as well. It made me realize there is a HUGE need for children to having mentors and role models especially in that environment. Most of those kids only have one parent at home and aren't taught a lot of things that should be taught to children. Overall, it was a crazyyyy day but I survived (!) and now I see every other sub job as extremely easy.
Who knew Halloween was going to come 2 days early?
Posted by Meagan at 8:24 PM